Skip to main content

International Travel

LineFor international emergencies call (517) 353-3784. This is a dedicated collect-call phone number that provides emergency assistance to any members of the MSU community who are abroad on university business or study abroad.


HTH Worldwide is Michigan State University’s international health insurance provider that includes coverage for medical expenses, accidental death and dismemberment, medical evacuation and repatriation. This coverage is available for both outbound international travels (departing from the United States) as well as inbound travel to the United States.

Outbound International Travel

Students participating in a MSU Education Abroad Program through the Office for Education Abroad are automatically enrolled in HTH Worldwide Insurance. For additional information, review their website at

For all other non-Office for Education Abroad individuals traveling on an approved MSU travel authorization, following are the required steps for departments to take in order to put coverage into effect: (1) complete a pre‐trip travel authorization for each non‐study abroad international traveler and (2) register the trip in the MSU Global Travel Registry.  The coverage for any one trip is limited to 364 consecutive days. 

The HTH Worldwide insurance product for non‐education abroad international travelers is called “GeoBlue Traveler”. For more information regarding the coverage, access the GeoBlue website at and click on “Register” (the MSU Group Access Code is: QHG9999MSUBT). This step will enable travelers to print their ID card in advance, have access to the policy, review HTH’s large network of global medical providers, look at claim procedures and become familiar with the online and mobile tools available to them.  Coverage age limits have been increased and are now provided for individuals up to 85 years of age.  

For MSU business travel, If a verification of international health insurance and/or repatriation/evacuation is required for visa purposes, submit an email request to with the following information:

  • Traveler's Full Name
  • Traveler's Date of Birth
  • Country(ies) of Travel
  • Dates of Travel
  • MSU Business Purpose
  • Traveler's Email Address
  • List of Insurance Requirements as Specified by the Visa Agency 

A letter will be prepared by HTH providing verification of insurance covered under the policy.  HTH will email the letter directly to the traveler. Please note that the standard turn around time for this process is 3 - 5 business days.

If travelers would like to purchase separate travel coverage at their own expense for leisure travel or for an accompanying spouse or dependents that are not traveling on an approved MSU travel authorization, they can obtain a quote through HTH Worldwide at or by calling 1-888-243-2358.

Inbound Travel to the United States

This coverage is available for a fee to all individuals traveling to the United States on an approved MSU travel authorization. To enroll participants, a University department must complete a roster and provide a university account number. Both need to be submitted to the Risk Management and Insurance Department via email to In order to process enrollment, the roster format cannot be altered, and it is necessary to complete all fields with an orange heading.  Risk Management staff will facilitate the enrollment with HTH and provide an ID card to the department. The premium is $66.25 per calendar month. For more information regarding the coverage, please review the brochure.

If you have any questions regarding either the inbound or outbound coverage, contact the Risk Management and Insurance Department via email at or by phone at 517-355-5022 ext. 0.